Neck bones perfect for soups and slow cooking.
Suggested Recipe: Braised Beef Neck Bones
- 2kg Neck Bones
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup unsalted beef stock
- Preheat the oven to 165 C˚.
- Heat some oil over medium to medium-high heat in a Dutch oven (or other large, oven-proof pot). Sprinkle all sides of the beef with some salt and sear, in batches, until browned; set aside. (You might need to add more oil as you go through the batches of meat.)
- In the same pot that you seared the meat in, add the onion (with more oil, if needed), sprinkle with some salt, and cook until the onion begins to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic cloves, tomato paste, thyme, and pepper, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Deglaze with the red wine by scraping up the stuff on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the reserved beef neck bones and beef stock to the pot, bring it to simmer, cover, and put in the oven to braise until fork tender, about 2 hours 30 minutes.