Chicken breast is a classic. Ours is Lilydale and 100% free ranged!
Recommended Recipe: Chicken Bake
- 500g chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 80 ml(⅓ cup) olive oil
- 2large onions, thinly sliced
- 250 ml(1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 75 g (½ cup)plain flour, for dusting, plus 35 g (¼ cup) for yoghurt mixture
- 3eggs, lightly beaten
- 1large pinch grated nutmeg
- 2½ tbspfinely chopped dill
- 80 g(1 cup) grated kefalotiri or pecorino
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Using a large, sharp knife, cut down the middle of each double breast. Cut each breast in half on the diagonal, under the wing joint.
- Dust the chicken well with ½ cup flour, shaking off excess. Season chicken well with salt and pepper (chicken is best seasoned before dusting with flour, otherwise hardly any will stick).
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium, add the onions and cook for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a 2-litre (8 cup) capacity roasting dish, reserving frying pan. Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Place the chicken over the onion in a single layer.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, flour, eggs, nutmeg, dill and 50 g (⅔ cup) of the cheese and season to taste. Spoon mixture over the chicken to cover it, then sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until yoghurt mixture is golden and set.