Suggested Recipe: Deep Fried Chicken Necks
- 1 kg chicken necks
- 2 small hot red chilies finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon grass finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon kaffir lime leaves finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons light soy sauce light soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar grated (can substitute light brown sugar)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 250 grams plain flour
In a glass bowl place, chilies, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce, palm sugar and coconut milk. Milk all ingredients well until combined. Place chicken necks in the mixture, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinade for 24 hours (at least over night).
In a wok, pour in oil until around 7cm deep. Heat wok over a medium heat to 170 C and pre heat your oven your oven to 120 C . Line baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
In a large blow place flour and season with salt and pepper.
Working with a few necks at a time, remove from marinade and then coat in flour mixture. Shake off extra flour before placing in wok to deep fry. Fry for around 4 minutes each side and golden.
Remove chicken from oil with tongs. Shake off excess oil, drain on some paper towel and then place on baking tray in the oven to keep warm.
Repeat with the remaining chicken necks. Serve with sweet chili or satay sauce.